In Warrnambool, the artillery pieces are located at Flagstaff Hill, Cannon Hill (currently off site due to repairs) and the Botanic Gardens.
Cannon Hill: Artillery Cres In the nineteenth centry the hill was a defensive site and now comprises several WWI trophy and WWII disposal guns. It is believed the guns located at Flagstaff Hill and Botanic Gardens were orginally located at Cannon Hill and moved in 1910.
- One World War 1 105 mm German howitzer trophy gun
- One World War 1 150 mm German howitzer trophy gun
- One World War 2 40 mm Bofors anti-aircraft disposal gun
- One World War 2 3 inch disposal mortar
Flagstaff Hill: Merri St the Flagstaff Hill Battery was established in the late 1880s. There are other small guns retrieved from local shipwrecks in the maritime museum on site.
- One 68 pdr smooth bore cannon on a wooden carriage and slide
- Two 80 pdr rifled muzzle-loading guns on iron carriages and slides
- One possibly 6 pdr smooth bore cannon on wooden carriage
- One 1 pdr cast iron smooth bore grapeshot gun, disassembled
- Two 9 pdr cast iron guns, possibly reproductions
- Four concrete gun emplacements, armoury and officers’ hut
Botanic Gardens: Botanic Rd
- One 28 pdr converted to 32 pdr smooth bore gun on a wooden carriage and slide
- Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village & Museum
- Botanic Gardens
- Cannon Hill lookout
- 11 Cannons
Things to do
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village has just undergone a major redevelopment, that included interactive digital installations throughout the village, a full upgrade of the ‘Shipwrecked’ Sound and Light Show Experience: the...
The site of the Port Fairy Battery has been used for defence purposes since 1867 when a 32 pdr smooth-bore muzzle-loaded artillery piece was installed. Another was installed in 1872. One was sold to the Borough Council and moved to the Botanic Gardens for use as a monument around 1887. In 1874 further defences were added including a redoubt. Then, following the Jervois and Scratchley reports of 1877, more permanent fortifications were constructed. Just two years later, two 80 pdr rifled muzzle-loaded Armstrong artillery pieces with iron traversing carriages were installed in concrete emplacements.
Battery Hill: Griffiths St The site now contains six pieces of artillery
- Two 80 pdr rifled muzzle-loading guns mounted on iron carriages and slides
Battery Hill Reserve: Griffiths St
- Two 32 pdr smooth bore guns mounted on wooden carriages
- One 68 pdr smooth bore gun mounted on a wooden carriage
- One 68 pdr smooth bore gun mounted on a wooden carriage and slide
Sadly another cannon was stolen in 1999.
- Port Fairy
- Battery Hill
- 4 cannons
The Portland Battery was constructed in 1889. The site had been gazetted for defence purposes in the 1840s and initially comprised the Portland Lighthouse which was built in 1859. However the lighthouse and the lighthouse keepers’ cottages were relocated to Whalers Bluff to make way for the Battery. The Battery comprised a magazine, an upper chamber, a parapet wall and three gun emplacements. During World War 2 the Battery was used by Volunteer Air Observer Corps for aircraft movement observations.
Battery Hill: Victoria Pde In 1984 the Battery underwent a major restoration and the site now contains three pieces of artillery.
- 32 pdr smooth bore gun on a wooden carriage, not original to the Battery
- 68 pdr smooth bore gun on a wooden carriage and wooden slide, not original to the Battery
- 80 pdr rifled muzzle-loading gun original to the Battery
There is also a 68 pdr smooth bore cannon located outside Glenelg Shire Council Offices, Cliff Street, Portland.
- Portland Foreshore
- 4 Cannons